Writings From Outside the Circle

A place where the thoughts that populate my mind can flow into the outside world...

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Honoring our parents

We buried my mother this morning. I never imagined that I'd write such words during my young adulthood, but the chill of the snow and today's fall breezes has quickened my senses to such a reality.

As I sit here at my keyboard wrapping up the day's business, my thoughts keep returning to something that a dear friend of mine - an older gentleman who has been a mentor and big brother to me in the nearly eight years that I've known him - shared with me on Saturday. Before we prayed together, he shared his thoughts on how we can best honor our parents.

Speaking as a parent himself, he told me that he feels that the best way that we can honor our parents is by living and walking in harmony with the values and lessons that they have passed on to us. In so doing, we not only honor our parents; we also keep their memories alive.

In my case, then, honoring my mother will mean adhering to principles that she taught me over the years. Most of those teachings came to me through observation - by watching her actions as she went about the business of daily life.

Mom was a deeply-committed woman in many respects. She was married to my dad for 41 years, from 1964 until her passing this week. Though my parents' marriage surely faced many trials over that span of time, Mom stuck by Dad through thick and thin. Mom was no less committed to me, regardless of how many times we may have butted heads over the years. She supported me in the endeavors of my youth and young adulthood, and was a tireless supporter and advocate for me during my struggle with leukemia six years ago.

Her commitment didn't end when she left the confines of the homes that our family shared. She worked for a local rural electric cooperative for 37 years. Mom began working for the organization in 1966, and remained loyal to it until her retirement at the end of January of last year. She was also heavily involved with local bowling leagues and was a staunch supporter of South Dakota State University athletics for many years. As the Rev. Bob Jones said during her funeral service this morning, my mother loved people. Being around and serving others was the spark that seemed to ignite the flame of passion within her. And in that way, if no other, Mom provided examples of ways through which a person can live a good, rich and full life.

Though my mother no longer walks the earth in flesh and blood as I do, I take comfort in knowing that she lives on in spirit. Such a realization doesn't change the fact that I miss her and always will, but I am content knowing that she will live on in me and in others whose lives she touched.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home