Writings From Outside the Circle

A place where the thoughts that populate my mind can flow into the outside world...

Sunday, February 19, 2006

A lot's happened in a month

Well, folks - sorry for taking so long to make another post. I admit it...I've been lazy, at least when it's come to writing in this blog. There's been a lot that's happened in the past month or so, and my time has been occupied by other endeavors.

Not the least of which has been writing for the "Brookings Register" and wrapping up work on the Ethel Austin Martin biography. I'm happy to say that I took the manuscript and photos for the EAM book to Pine Hill Press this past week, and the book should be published by March 28. It's hard to believe that almost two years of working is going to be coming to fruition.

It's equally hard for me to believe that my time with the "Brookings Register" is coming to an end soon as well. A few weeks ago, I gave notice that I'm leaving the newspaper after Friday, March 10. It was a difficult decision to make, especially considering that I've only been at the newspaper for about six months, but I believe that I'm doing the right thing.

My mom's death a few months ago, coupled with my own brush with death about six years ago, has really made me realize just how short life is. And I also understand now just how valuable experiences and memories can be. Now is the time perfect time in my life to make some memories.

The plan now is for me to take at least year off from regular work and do some traveling around at least North America. There are a few broad objectives I have for taking such a trip. One is that it will give me an opportunity to visit some places (e.g., Alaska, Wikwemikong) I haven't been before. Another is that it will give me a chance to connect with people in my life, both friends and family, who are dear and precious to me. I understand now that, in losing my mom (and the same will be true when Dad is gone) that I've lost one of my most important connections to who I am and where I come from, and I want to take some time to get to know my family better. And on top of everything else, I think that taking time off like this will be fun. Life is too short and the world's too big, and now is the opportune time to do something like this.

People are already asking me what I plan to do once I'm done with my "sabbatical," and all I can answer right now is "I don't know." It's hard for me to say that, but "I don't know" is the best I came come up with right now. But for now, I'm content to just take things one day at a time, and to have faith that I'll be lead in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home