Writings From Outside the Circle

A place where the thoughts that populate my mind can flow into the outside world...

Sunday, December 18, 2005

It's been a while

It's been a while since I've written in the blog; I haven't been as faithful about updating as often as I thought originally. Oh, well. No big deal.

Speaking of blogs, my friend Brian told me today that he's set up a couple of blogs for his trip to India, which will be coming up in about a month. He told me that he set up a personal blog for himself and then one for the entire group. Brian also said that he's amazed at how easy Blogger is to use and that it's free. I'm inclined to agree.

The past couple of weeks have been pretty busy for me, so that's part of the reason why I haven't updated this blog lately. You could also say that I've been kind of lazy, too. As much as I enjoy writing and telling stories, sometimes writing is one of the last things I want to do when I get home from doing it all day at the office. My blog shouldn't feel too, bad, though - I haven't been paying very much attention to my memoir, either. ;-)

Working at the "Brookings Register" isn't the only thing that's kept me busy over the past few weeks, of course. I've also been spending a lot of time with my dad (which is good), working out (walking, lifting weights), and spending time with friends. All of those things and people have helped keep my mind and hands busy, and I think that it's helped me move through the grieving process resulting from my mom's death a couple of weeks ago.

Something else that's really helped me out a lot, too, I believe, has been spending more time in meditation and prayer. I guess that I've done those things sporadically throughout my life, but I have to admit that I haven't put as much effort into those activities as I have in the past several days. I can't point to any specific outcomes of the time I've spent praying and meditating, but I can say that in a lot of ways, I feel more emotionally stable and peaceful than than I have in years. That in an of itself is a good enough reason to take five or 10 minutes each day, either early in the morning, late at night, or both, to just sit and talk to the Creator.

For whatever reason, though, I'm happy to say that I honestly feel more like an adult and stronger than I have in years. Part of it could be the influence of my prayers and the prayers that others have offered up on my behalf, and part of it could be choices that I've made recently to not worry so much and to be more confident. I think that, for perhaps the first time in my life, I'm starting to understand some important basics about life. I'm believing now more than ever that I really do have a purpose in this life after all, and that everything will unfold as it should. Everything happens for a reason. There's always a chance that I'll lapse back into my old anxieties about how much of what happens in this life is up to us and how much is preordained, but I can say now that I have a renewed sense that everything works itself out in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home